Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Reaction to Second "Modernism" Reading

As I was reading, I was pleased to find that authors and poets continue to be mentioned as frequently as painters. Perhaps it is because of our recent reading of T.S. Eliot, but I noticed that he is mentioned quite often throughout the pages, and the book repeatedly cites the same writers (James Joyce).
One part that especially stood out to me was the bit about surrealism. I love surrealism and it was interesting to read about how it embraces the ideas of Freud. I noticed a quote by Andre Breton that stated, "a part of our mental world which we pretended not to be concerned with any longer - and, in my opinion the most important part - has been brought back to the light." It's true that we shove things into the backs of our minds, things we want to forget about, and these things can be relayed through art.

No comments:

Post a Comment